Junior Structural/Civil Engineering Consultant
We’re excited to be hiring a Structural/Civil Engineer to support our team and our clients, providing high quality consultancy relating to support structures for solar and wind power projects. The position is open to locations in UK, France or Spain. We’re hiring for this specific technical role but in due time you’ll be free to self-define your role, your development journey and your involvement in running the company.
- Salary package: A competitive basic salary related to your experience, plus pension scheme annual profit share and route into company ownership in the long term – an enviable overall package!
- Location: UK, France or Spain. Unless you have direct prior experience in this role, we’re expecting you to be office-based for an induction period (probably in Bristol, UK), after which you could decide your preferred office, flexible working or home working. Our main hubs are in Bristol, Glasgow, Paris, Lyon and Madrid
- Hours: 50% to 100% (full time)
- Interviews: October 2022
- Start date: Preferably November/December 2022
- Closing date for applications: Sunday 9th Oct 2022
You will be advising developers, owners, investors, lenders and public bodies on renewable energy projects, through technical and commercial consultancy services.
Everoze works on multiple technologies (wind, solar, storage, hydrogen) across the project life-cycle. You will specialise in civil-structural aspects of projects, both supporting colleagues’ projects and pursuing your own projects in your areas of interest. Initially your work will focus on civil-structural consultancy services to project developers, operators, lenders or investors in solar PV projects, with opportunities to diversify in to other technologies in future.
As examples, specific activities may typically include:
- Consulting on site conditions, structures and foundations as part of wider technical due diligence for project transactions;
- Detailed design review of structures and foundations;
- Inspection of renewable energy construction projects;
- Review of construction contracts and reviewing or writing contractual technical specifications for civil-structural aspects;
- Reviewing contractors’ studies and calculations generated during construction (e.g. structural, geotechnical, wind, corrosion, seismic);
- Root-cause analysis of structural engineering problems with operational projects;
- Contributing to Everoze: supporting business functions, pitching new tactics, and getting involved in all the other non-commercial aspects of our work.
Over time, we encourage you to take ownership of your career and to work cross-technology in our domains of interest.
- Flexibility: we offer flexible work hours, part-time and remote working for those who want it;
- Family friendly working: policies including paid parental leave of 16 weeks for birth partner and 4 weeks for non-birth partner;
- We embrace diversity and equal opportunities. At Everoze we want you to ‘bring your whole-self to work’;
- A community of world-class experts in clean energy: We work with some of the biggest brands in the sector and we’re regularly asked to share our thought leadership at the sector’s top conferences. You’ll be at the heart of this: conducting the analysis which informs our clients’ investments and project decisions;
- Exposure to a wide range of projects and clients: As a thriving consultancy business Everoze works for clients ranging from multinational banks to community energy groups. You will be exposed to the wide range of projects financed and developed by these clients, taking in different approaches to challenges, risks, and solutions at each turn;
- A growth environment: We set up with 6 partners in September 2015. Now we’re 75 strong and counting, based across the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Ireland and Germany;
- The flattest of flat organisations: Let’s be upfront: if you thrive on hierarchy and structure, Everoze isn’t the company for you. But if you are looking for a work environment where the strength of your ideas is valued as much as your years of experience, then welcome home. You’ll be given the freedom and autonomy to shape your own career; it’s not for everyone, and with freedom comes responsibility – but we sure enjoy the buzz of owning our own careers;
- The team works: Perhaps you’re coming from a big corporate consultancy? Well, goodbye departmental silos! We get our offshore wind experts working on energy storage, our UK team working on French projects, our onshore wind specialists branching into solar. It keeps things fresh for us and more importantly, spurs the creative cross-fertilisation of ideas which helps us deliver unique insights and value to our clients;
- Top-notch mentorship: Most of us at Everoze have been in the renewables and energy business for well over a decade. Some of us have previously led teams and business units and others are world-class subject matter experts. We’d love to share some of this experience, through assigning you an internal mentor to help guide your professional development. And we hope that you can return the favour by offering feedback for us too, because whether you’ve got 3 months experience, or 30 years, we’ve all got more to learn;
- No utilisation targets: yes that’s right! We don’t report on, or check individual performance and we work on trust within the team. Happy and motivated staff are able to find the right balance between commercial work, business development and administration.
We would like to hear from you if you meet the following requirements:
- You share our core values of entrepreneurship, partnership and quality;
- You are excited to work in an open, non-hierarchical environment;
- You are self-motivated and will take advantage of the autonomy to shape your own career;
- You want to use your skills to change our energy system for the better.
Essential skills and qualifications
- MEng Civil, structural or mechanical degree, or similar equivalent;
- Fluent in English and able to write clear, concise and accurate reports in business English;
- For junior candidates, at least 3 years’ civil-structural consulting in the renewable energy sector, or alternatively design work experience in any field of civil-structural engineering;
- Structural engineering competence with steel structures;
- Appreciation of lightweight structures, structural dynamics and wind loads on structures;
- Ability to perform calculations and analytical modelling with pragmatism and first principles understanding;
- Enjoy working as part of a team and supporting colleagues;
- Able to manage concurrent and different tasks, prioritise workload, and meet deadlines and client needs.
For more experienced candidates without direct renewables industry experience we expect:
- Ability to make technical judgements based on your experience, without necessarily resorting to analysis;
- Ability to do analysis if necessary, at a level of detail appropriate to the situation;
- Awareness about the renewables sector accompanied by relevant alternative experience from another construction industry sector;
- Experience in at least one branch of wind engineering (wind loads on complex structures, use of wind tunnels studies, wind dynamics, fluid-structure interaction);
- Ability to read and interpret ground investigation reports and/or pile load test reports;
- Confidence to lead small project teams;
- Efficient basic admin and management of own projects (proposal writing, consultancy contract admin, project accounting, invoicing, following a QA process);
- Ability to adjust your communication on technical topics to suit the situation: being clear, concise and relevant;
- Ability to relate with clients in a way that builds trust and lasting client relationships.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Structural engineering competence with concrete Geotechnical engineering competence;
- Work experience or academic studies relating to at least one area of structural dynamics (vibration, fatigue, seismic, dynamic amplifications);
- Studies or projects with wind engineering theme;
- Experience in renewable technologies and projects.
For more experienced candidates we would be especially interested in:
- Experience in renewable energy project engineering and/or due diligence;
- Project experience in at least one area of structural dynamics (vibration, fatigue, seismic, dynamic amplifications);
- Solar support structure and tracker wind engineering.
How to apply
Everoze embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. For this reason applications for this position are to be made exclusively through the Applied platform. You will be asked to answer a series of short questions designed to test that you have the skills that we are looking for. These will be reviewed anonymously, and the highest scoring applicants will be invited for interview.
Follow this link to start your application: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/5q4xlerlc6